Divination and Idolatory !


As my journey through the book of Samuel continues,I am amazed by the authority the prophet exercises throughout the kingdom of Israel and over Saul (I Sam 12 :18 - "....so all the people stood in awe of the lord AND Samuel!).As the spiritual downfall of King Saul continues,Samuel was very much concerned over the king whom he had anointed and alas ! he couldn't prevent it .The words which Samuel spoke before he hammered the final nail in the coffin of Saul still sends a jolt into the body and I was reminded of an important truth other than obedience( I Sam 15:22-23 ).Samuel also accuses Saul of Divination and Idolatry! well that's quite an accusation against a man who claimed that "but I did obey the lord..I went on a mission the lord had assigned me - I Sam 15:20"


The disobedience and rebellion against the lord is equated with Divination and arrogance of heart is equated with idolatry.That's quite a message to the modern day church which sees the sin of idolatry and divination as something the pagans do and distances itself away from the people who claims to practice it .The truth is, it also claims to obey the word of god and says like Saul " I went on a mission the lord has assigned me ".How much the church is guilty of rebellion and arrogance and denies it and lives in a state of pious illusion?!


When Samuel perceived Saul's arrogance he tore open his mask of piety and disobedience and exhorted him on what pleases the lord and what doesn't.I was reminded and warned by the word of god not to be deceived by my own piety but rather be justified and purified by his word.How dreadful my life will be if at the end my ears hear "you have rejected the word of the lord and the lord has rejected you as king over Israel - I Sam 15:26".Good Lord help me to heed and obey.

Comments

Popular Posts